Re: Cultural artifacts

In a message dated 8/22/00 9:47:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Cprakash@goplay.com writes:

<< In the india i envisage, every person will be free to choose their own
 mode of life, way of life. Culture is an evolving thing. It is not
 static. It gets refined every time someone (usually an individual who
 rebels against society) challenges the established rules. this is true
 even of our own history.>>

Dear Prakash,

Culture is indeed an evolving concept.  But I think you need to realize that
evolution is a concept of internal development.  That is: true evolution and
development, must come from inside the own culture as did Buddha and
Shankara. But when you invite a foreign culture, that by definition does not
become an evolution of our culture but merely an assimilation into a strange
one, one that we do not identify our roots with.  If you want to live like a
foreigner then go live in a foreign land that chooses your taste, but by
forcing globalization upon an entire nation of people who do not identify
with the methods of the west is tyranny... is cultural imperialism, not
development and certainly not evolution by any means.

 <<this, must not be restricted by the law.>>

I'm ignorant to identify how the law restricts you from adapting a different
culture.

Peace,

Naveen