Re: Not quite, Mr. Prakash!

In a message dated 8/22/00 9:46:59 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Cprakash@goplay.com writes:

<< the individual is, I think more important becuase every single
 individual is a real, tangible entity. society is an abstraction.>>

Society is a collection of individuals, which exists for the welfare of
individuals.  That would make society just as real as the individual, for it
is not an abstraction as you claim, but a very real and vibrant unit.
Replace "society" with "community" and we are talking about a scientific term
-- of an ecosystem of creatures existing on the basis of inter-dependency.
Viewing man as part of nature and "part of the forest" as Tagore would put
it, would make you realise the damaging effects of trying to abandon society
and have individuals live for themselves, and only for their own welfare.

Peace,

Naveen