Re: A refutation of Naveen's opinion

most of the arguments against laissez faire capitalism rely on the
fear of capitalists consuming large amounts of resources for their
own enrichment. This is countered by the land tax.

The land tax or resource rent will charge the companies for usage of
resources without bringing in the ineffieciency of Public management.
It will also assure every adult a basic "safety net" in the form of
the citizens dividend.

We can have open auctions of resources for exploitation on the basis
of the rent the companies are willing to pay. This will have to be
done at a local level.I believe that the further the distance of the
government from the people, the worse the government. I do not
understand how decisions concerneing the life of people of india can
be taken in GENEVA {??} in a laissez faire environment.

Naveenkj@aol.com wrote on Monday August 21, 2000 at  7:40am:
>Please help make the Manifesto better, or accept it, and propagate
it!
>In a message dated 8/20/00 12:24:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>Cprakash@goplay.com writes:
>
><< ? In most of the cases the reply is "Bijli,SAdak, pani, skool"
this
> remains at their core. they also want that their life be left alone
> for them to lead. i.e - "laissez faire". >>
>
>Exactly!  They want the basic necessities that any community strives
for, and
>their cries to be "left alone" should certainly be addressed.
However, their
>cries to be left alone by a bureaucratic government should not be
dealt with
>by installing a further bureaucratic system, one that they will have
no
>control over.  A system that makes its decisions in Geneva and in
New York,
>and decides what is best for them and what is best for its own
economic
>gains.  Throughout history, and this is the only way globalization
can work,
>corporate societies have led to further involvement by the police
state to
>disturb the livelihoods of its citizens.  To phrase it differently,
>laissez-faire does not translate to more autonomy to local people
but merely
>more autonomy to corporations to function in whatever manner they
choose.
>Even if this meant destruction of environmental resources vital to
the
>survival of a local population, or acquisition of resources in an
unfair
>manner, etc.  When the indigenous people oppose such unfairness and
>"exploitation", the police will be brought in to protect the
interest of
>corporations against the interests of the people.  Since clauses
under the
>WTO agreements guarantee safeguards for the foreign cartels.
>
>As Vandana Shiva noted, "Globalization does mean "less government"
for
>regulation of business and commerce.  But less government for
commerce and
>corporations can go hand in hand with more government in the lives
of
>ordinary people.  As globalization allows increasing transfer of
resources
>from the public domain - either under the control of communities or
that of
>the state - discontent increases, leading to law and order
problems.  In such
>a situation, even a minimalist state restricted only to policing
will become
>enormously large and all pervasive, devouring much of the wealth of
society
>and intruding into every aspect of citizens' lives."
>
>In another passage she adds, "Two million weavers in Andhra Pradesh
lost
>their livelihoods when free export of cotton was allowed, taking
cotton
>beyond the access of weavers.  200,000 producers of Bikaneri Bhujia
(a
>regional snack specialty) are threatened with the entry of PepsiCo
in the
>manufacture and marketing of Bikaneri Bhujia.  New power plants have
been
>established by bypassing the requirements of Environmental Impact
Assessment.

debate@indiapolicy.org
http://www.indiapolicy.org/debate/
----