RE: Not quite, Mr. Prakash!

Have I denied the existense of a society ? I only said I like to eat
Cheese Uttapam and I want my society to be free enough for me to do
that !! (without moralists coming and knocking on my door)

the sphere of a person's personal activties should be private. The
government should preferably not poke its nose into these activities.

just to give you an example, the recent attacks on couples in
Bandstand,mumbai. why does the police even bother about arresting
couples who desperately seek a private moment ? This would not be out
of place in a feudal/fascist society, but in a democratic republic ?
god save me !!

regards
prakash

Kartik Ramachandran <ramachan@grinnell.edu> wrote on Monday August
21, 2000 at  7:31am:
> [...]
the
>concept of public and private?
>
>I disagree. Indeed, much of India's culture (linked with religion,
based on
>that curious relationship between religion and culture in India) has
been
>about ahimsa and a functionalist view of society where each member
>contributes
>a certain bit. But there is also a strong view of the "broader
picture", or a
>greater importance of the society over the individual.
>
>I do not deny the existence of certain fundamental 'rights' or
beliefs, which
>are a result of the evolution of societies and cultures, but let us
remember
>to look at the same issue from several angles.
>
>Kartik Ramachandran
>
>>===== Original Message From debate@indiapolicy.org =====
-
>>Please help make the Manifesto better, or accept it, and propagate
it!
-
>>>--- Naveenkj@aol.com wrote:
>>>" To adapt such a society would require India to make drastic
>>cultural
>>>adjustments.  For instance eating pizza instead of puri, and
dressing
>>in
>>>denim jeans instead of kurthas.  For the corporate sponspors will
>>force on
>>>India, American cultural commodities of Nike Shoes and CalvinKlein
>>Jeans.
>>>Are we ready to surrender our culture?  Are we ready to accept the
>>costs to
>>>human life, culture and democracy, for these are requisite means
for
>> ~~~~~~~~~~              ~~~~~~~~~
>>>achieving an America in the Indian sub-continent?"
>>
>>I don't understand your Human Life and Democracy , man. America is
the
>>BIG DADDY OF democracy. 200 yrs as opposed to our 50.
>>
>>Human Life ??? which country rises in righteous indignation when the
>>rights of even one single human is a stake ?
>>In contrast, which country has the least of regard for human life ?
>>You can anwer these questions honestly and realise we would be a lot
>>better if we had even the fraction of respect for human life that
>>america has.
>>
>>and please tell me how professional sports teams in the district
level
>>will lead us to eating Pizzas and wearing jeans ?? I think you have
>>taken your phobia too far. Our culture is too strong for a few
>>companies to oust it. and if does get ousted,(by a few companies) it
>>deserves its extinction.
>>
>>c.Prakash
-------+
>>| The coolest site for free home pages, email, chat, e-cards, movie
Play!              |

debate@indiapolicy.org
http://www.indiapolicy.org/debate/

----