RE: Not quite, Mr. Prakash!

Dear Kartik,

Have you read the manifesto ? the first statement in it is
- Our Existense is seperate.

the individual is, I think more important becuase every single
individual is a real, tangible entity. society is an abstraction.
I like indian society a lot, but i think it has to infuse a lot of
individualism in it than there is now.
also, i didn't understand how you came up to this conclusion from
this particular discussion about Human life and democracy (
originally started from sports )

ciao
Prakash

Kartik Ramachandran <ramachan@grinnell.edu> wrote on Monday August
21, 2000 at  7:31am:
> [...]
the
>concept of public and private?
>
>I disagree. Indeed, much of India's culture (linked with religion,
based on
>that curious relationship between religion and culture in India) has
been
>about ahimsa and a functionalist view of society where each member
>contributes
>a certain bit. But there is also a strong view of the "broader
picture", or a
>greater importance of the society over the individual.
>
>I do not deny the existence of certain fundamental 'rights' or
beliefs, which
>are a result of the evolution of societies and cultures, but let us
remember
>to look at the same issue from several angles.
>
>Kartik Ramachandran
>
>>===== Original Message From debate@indiapolicy.org =====
-
>>Please help make the Manifesto better, or accept it, and propagate
it!
-
>>>--- Naveenkj@aol.com wrote:
>>>" To adapt such a society would require India to make drastic
>>cultural
>>>adjustments.  For instance eating pizza instead of puri, and
dressing
>>in
>>>denim jeans instead of kurthas.  For the corporate sponspors will
>>force on
>>>India, American cultural commodities of Nike Shoes and CalvinKlein
>>Jeans.
>>>Are we ready to surrender our culture?  Are we ready to accept the
>>costs to
>>>human life, culture and democracy, for these are requisite means
for
>> ~~~~~~~~~~              ~~~~~~~~~
>>>achieving an America in the Indian sub-continent?"
>>
>>I don't understand your Human Life and Democracy , man. America is
the
>>BIG DADDY OF democracy. 200 yrs as opposed to our 50.
>>
>>Human Life ??? which country rises in righteous indignation when the
>>rights of even one single human is a stake ?
>>In contrast, which country has the least of regard for human life ?
>>You can anwer these questions honestly and realise we would be a lot
>>better if we had even the fraction of respect for human life that
>>america has.
>>
>>and please tell me how professional sports teams in the district
level
>>will lead us to eating Pizzas and wearing jeans ?? I think you have
>>taken your phobia too far. Our culture is too strong for a few
>>companies to oust it. and if does get ousted,(by a few companies) it
>>deserves its extinction.
>>
>>c.Prakash
-------+
>>| The coolest site for free home pages, email, chat, e-cards, movie
Play!              |

debate@indiapolicy.org
http://www.indiapolicy.org/debate/

----