Re: A refutation of Naveen's opinion

In a message dated 8/21/00 3:49:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
perdi420@yahoo.com writes:

<< I also have a question.  Mechnaized agriculture in the US displaced a large
 pool of farm labor, essentially black folk, who have ended up in a life of
 urban poverty, forced to live in crime ridden neighbourhoods, and unhealthy
 environments in the projects.>>

This is true, although this isn't the soul reason for American Black Ghettos
and poverty of black people.

<>

I'm not aware of this situation in Karnataka, but defenitely such a law or
'lack of a law' will give free reign to Cargill and HJ Heinz to institute
their corporate farms resulting in displacements of many family farms. THe
worst hurt by this measure would be women who play a major role in our farm
economy.  Thanks to many peoples movements across India the
Genetically-Engineering crop industry has been prevented from taking foot in
India. *Although I heard there are few Japanese corporations that have opened
up in Orissa?* But certainly this law doesn't surprise me.  As the PDS
(Public Distribution of Food) is being slowly phased out thanks to SAP more
such measures will be made by pro-trade govts.  This they say is being down
to cut down on subsidies and promote competition... but I simply fail to
grasp the concept of competition when ALL farms are destroyed and only 2 big
corporations remain!  This is in my definition -- a monopoly.  If we are
disgust with the monopoly of the Indian govt over production, then why is a
corporate monopoly any more fruitful?

And in answering to your question of what can be done... the answer is direct
action, the type of Gandhian movements to protest the MNCs.  Nothing else can
be done, and I'm sure many democratic groups are active already regarding
this issue, armed with civil disobidience.

Peace,

Naveen