Naveen

Naveen, so what is your suggestion on the policies the government should
implement to proceed with the task of developing the nation.  Surely you are
not happy with the status quo???  I gather you are against
capitalism/globalization/large corporations.  So what is it that you are
pro?  We are aware of the downside of the above, do you have a better
solution?

AP

--- Naveenkj@aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 8/20/00 12:24:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> Cprakash@goplay.com writes:
>
> << ? In most of the cases the reply is "Bijli,SAdak, pani, skool" this
>  remains at their core. they also want that their life be left alone
>  for them to lead. i.e - "laissez faire". >>
>
> Exactly!  They want the basic necessities that any community strives for,
> and
> their cries to be "left alone" should certainly be addressed.  However,
> their
> cries to be left alone by a bureaucratic government should not be dealt
> with
> by installing a further bureaucratic system, one that they will have no
> control over.  A system that makes its decisions in Geneva and in New
> York,
> and decides what is best for them and what is best for its own economic
> gains.  Throughout history, and this is the only way globalization can
> work,
> corporate societies have led to further involvement by the police state to
>
> disturb the livelihoods of its citizens.  To phrase it differently,
> laissez-faire does not translate to more autonomy to local people but
> merely
> more autonomy to corporations to function in whatever manner they choose.
>
> Even if this meant destruction of environmental resources vital to the
> survival of a local population, or acquisition of resources in an unfair
> manner, etc.  When the indigenous people oppose such unfairness and
> "exploitation", the police will be brought in to protect the interest of
> corporations against the interests of the people.  Since clauses under the
>
> WTO agreements guarantee safeguards for the foreign cartels.
>
> As Vandana Shiva noted, "Globalization does mean "less government" for
> regulation of business and commerce.  But less government for commerce and
>
> corporations can go hand in hand with more government in the lives of
> ordinary people.  As globalization allows increasing transfer of resources
>
> from the public domain - either under the control of communities or that
> of
> the state - discontent increases, leading to law and order problems.  In
> such
> a situation, even a minimalist state restricted only to policing will
> become
> enormously large and all pervasive, devouring much of the wealth of
> society
> and intruding into every aspect of citizens' lives."
>
> In another passage she adds, "Two million weavers in Andhra Pradesh lost
> their livelihoods when free export of cotton was allowed, taking cotton
> beyond the access of weavers.  200,000 producers of Bikaneri Bhujia (a
> regional snack specialty) are threatened with the entry of PepsiCo in the
> manufacture and marketing of Bikaneri Bhujia.  New power plants have been
> established by bypassing the requirements of Environmental Impact
> [...]

=====
Ah, Love ! could thou and I with Fate conspire, To grasp this sorry scheme
of Things entire, Would not we shatter it to bits ---- and then, Re-mould
it nearer to the Heart's Desire !

Jab purdah nahi koi khudah seh, to bandhon se purdah kya.

Abhijeet A. Pradhan, 44J, Reading Rd, Edison, NJ 08817
Tel #: 732-452-1157      email: perdi420@yahoo.com
http://www.geocities.com/perdi420/       http://www.thethinkingindian.com