Not quite, Mr. Prakash!

Mr. Prakash,

You seem to be going back to a strongly western conception of what is more
important... Why must the individual be more important within this society?
Because we are conditioned by our exposure to western democracy and the
concept of public and private?

I disagree. Indeed, much of India's culture (linked with religion, based on
that curious relationship between religion and culture in India) has been
about ahimsa and a functionalist view of society where each member
contributes
a certain bit. But there is also a strong view of the "broader picture", or a
greater importance of the society over the individual.

I do not deny the existence of certain fundamental 'rights' or beliefs, which
are a result of the evolution of societies and cultures, but let us remember
to look at the same issue from several angles.

Kartik Ramachandran