Re: Will India win a medal this Olympics ?

Dear AP,

A wise man once told me, "the more free you think you are the more
delusioned"... We are NOT free.  Consumerism forces people to buy those
products that define a certain "status", wrongly intrepreted as "standard" of
life.  To the middle class American products present a sense of superiority
and hence makes it a must for them to strive to achieve the "status", where
they can afford to buy American cultural commodity.  When such a society is
established, everything of cultural value will be lost.  Now I'm not
proposing for us to fight for our culture and calling upon denunciation of
other cultures.  You may live your life following different traditions.  But
simply beware that Capitalism does not endorse the Indian way of life, which
is what the Indian people are used to and attempts to change will result
tensions not only in families but in society at large.  This is not so easily
visible and can be quantifiable, but you only have to look at the family
structures of American society, and so called "american culture" which is
loosely defined by a bunch of lost people to recognize the ills of capitalism.

peace

Naveen