Farm Policy

BTW, Naveen, what is the government policy on farming nowadays.  Long ago, I
believe corporations were not allowed to have farms above a certain size
etc.  Are these restrictions still in place? or lifted?  I hate this.
Information like this is never posted on any website, or at least I havent
found any....

AP

--- Naveenkj@aol.com wrote:
> This discussion about the olympics reminds me of an article in "The Hindu"
> on
> the day of the anniversary of the Quit India Movement.  A group of women
> had
> gathered (the place I don't recall) protesting multinational corporations,
>
> mainly large farming industries that are not only responsible for
> dwindling
> the local farming industry and destroying family farms pushing many
> farmers
> into poverty, but are also responsible for unequal acquisition of
> fertilizers
> and water resources. (Ironically, around the small article were large
> advertisements for Heinz ketchup, Lee Jeans, Domino's pizza, and a weight
> loss center.)
>
> The proponent of institutionalizing American Sporting industry in India
> must
> make it known the costs of such initiatives.  In a land of 700 million
> people
> without access to safe drinking water, how does this proponent ask for
> Indians to spend metric tons of water on daily maintainance of American
> quality sporting fields?  Furthermore, where is the place to build sports
> stadiums in already overcrowded cities?  Oh, maybe we will do what we have
>
> done with our highway expansion programs.  Displace dalits and build it on
>
> top of sacred burial grounds of Scheduled Tribe lands (which were once
> given
> to them and promised non-industrialization).  He further states there
> shall
> be no govt. involvement for it will be a hurdle to this "progress".
> Thinking
> the answers to ending the corruption in our govt. is to have no govt. at
> all... no even your gods of the west will agree that further
> democratization
> is the answer to corruption not laissez-faire.
>
> Furthermore, where is the dire need for this?  Not winning medals in
> Olympics
> is not a valid cause for proposals such as this.  The people in India, up
> my knowledge, are not crying for alternative forms of entertainment,
> especially sports.
>
> The American sporting industry is nothing more than a form of business,
> run
> through marketing principles of consumerism.  The athletes are highly
> paid,
> not by their teams but through corporate sponsorships.  To adapt such a
> society would require India to make drastic cultural adjustments.  For
> instance eating pizza instead of puri, and dressing in denim jeans instead
> of
> kurthas.  For the corporate sponspors will force on India, American
> cultural
> commodities of Nike Shoes and CalvinKlein Jeans.  Are we ready to
> surrender
> [...]

=====
Ah, Love ! could thou and I with Fate conspire, To grasp this sorry scheme
of Things entire, Would not we shatter it to bits ---- and then, Re-mould
it nearer to the Heart's Desire !

Jab purdah nahi koi khudah seh, to bandhon se purdah kya.

Abhijeet A. Pradhan, 44J, Reading Rd, Edison, NJ 08817
Tel #: 732-452-1157      email: perdi420@yahoo.com
http://www.geocities.com/perdi420/       http://www.thethinkingindian.com