Re: Our People already forgot what an honest man looks like

Umesh,
After the entire narration of the incident, you simply have a one line
statement saying that the people are bad.  I completely disagree and have
the exactly opposite viewpoint.  Indians are not genetically corrupt.  More
than anywhere else, good values are taught to children in the secure family
structure that we see in India.  But an honest man cannot stay honest when
you give him too much power and too little pay.  We are coming back to the
same discussion again.  Government servants (cops, firemen, municipal
workers) do not get paid enough to lead a decent middle class life in
Bombay.  How do you expect them to be honest for the 20 - 30 years that they
serve, when they cannot maintain their houses, send their kids to decent
schools or have a little extra to splurge on good clothes once in a while.
Do you want them to live in absolute misery for decades and be honest.  You
keep on making noises about sacrifice while living a comfortable life in the
States.  You keep on saying you will go back to be a politician, and I am
sure you will do that when you have enough savings.  But what about those
who entered service without any savings.  You said you are from a small
village in Central India.  I am not sure whether you ever lived in Bombay,
but let me assure you there is no comparision when it comes to living
expenses.  A havaldar makes what?? 5 - 6000 Rs when he starts, when onions
cost 50 Rs a kg in Bombay.  Is that what an honest cop should be worth, a
100 kgs of onions???  Dude, I challenge you, go back as a govt servant in
Bombay, as a havaldar or a clerk, without any savings and stay honest for 20
years, while your children wear the same clothes for years, they go to
fucked up municipal schools with broken benches and leaking roofs, do not
get chocolates even once in a while, and your family has to live in a 6 by 8
room with common restrooms for the 16 houses on the floor, because that is
all the rent you can afford.  Even in Dharavi, asia's biggest slum (which is
in bombay), a 6 by 8 zhopadpatti goes for 3 - 5 lakhs, that 5+ years of a
havaldars salary.  Lets see u live in dharavi as an honest government clerk.
 Lets see how it feels when not only you, but your wife and kids have to
"sacrifice" the basics so that you can serve your country!!!  One thing is
true, if the systems are not corrected, an entire generation will be
corrupted, and then the title of your email will come true....
AP

--- Chetna & Umesh Tiwari <chetna.umesh@usa.net> wrote:
> No matter how good a system in paper, when almost everybody is corrupt and
> the
> rest indifferent, there is hardly anything that can be done to cure that
> kind
> of society. This kind of society is bound to punish those who dare to be
> different, honest, and those who hazard trying to anything without
> actually
> falling down to the level of what our people are used to, the corrupt,
> bribe-taking/bribe-giving kind who cares little about people and society
> at
> large.
>
> A case in point. A charity, run by dedicated yet not so rich, but caring
> and
> yes, honest NRIs, runs a school for handicapped children and a hospital in
> India. It is not hard to picture the difficult times this rare
> organization is
> going through financially and otherwise, getting little support from
> powers
> that be, cuz nobody can expect to get a dime in bribe from this
> organization.
>

> I am told of a recent incident that led to the school first writing a
> proposal
> to seek central government assistance (as there seems to be a program in
> central government that offers infrastructural and logistic assistance to
> schools for handicapped children), and then deciding to unilaterally
> withdraw
> the proposal sensing a web of bribe seekers in the system from top to
> bottom,
> who wanted their share of bribe before moving the proposal upward.
>
> The founder president of the Charity organization in the USA was told by
> his
> school that such a proposal was drafted and sent to the government for
> approval. Upon hearing that the district office was seeking Rs. 5000
> before
> they would move the paper upwards to the state headquarters, he asked them
> not
> to pay a dime no matter what. Somehow, after waiting for months on this
> proposal, a local supporter paid Rs. 2000 to the district office (without
> prior knowledge of the Charity) and had the papers moved to the state hq.
> Now
> it was the turn of state hq to ask for 20% of the total assistance asked,
> sum of some three lakh rupees as bribe before sending the papers upwards
> the central government agency. At this point the Charity founder stepped
> in
> and blocked all talks of bribe giving and spoke to his personal contacts
> in
> central government bureaucracy. One of his friends in Central Government
> was
> able to finally convince the concerned state government officials (yes the
> IAS
> [...]

=====
Ah Love, could you and I conspire, To grasp this sorry state of things
entire,
To smash it all into a million bits, And mold it back to heart's desire.

Jab purdah nahi koi khudah seh, to bandhon se purdah kya.

Abhijeet A. Pradhan, 44J, Reading Rd, Edison, NJ 08817
Tel #: 732-452-1157      email: perdi420@yahoo.com
http://www.geocities.com/perdi420/       http://www.thethinkingindian.com