PS: some benefits of the georgist policy

PS.  All George's other arguments are fine,  I.e. easy to tax, hard to hide,
should encourage minimal govt etc etc,

--- Cprakash <Cprakash@goplay.com> wrote:
> Dear Abhijeet,
>
> the land value or the unimproved land value which is sought to be
> taxed, is actually the rent paid out to the landlord forever,
> capitalised to a present value taking the inflation rate into
> account. Now in the case you suggested that since all landowners are
> being taxed, they will raise the rents. That is true, but their
> tendency to raise the rents will be limited by the market. I do not
> mean other landwoners, i mean LAND itself. The tendency of the
> consumers of land will be to move out to a place with relatively
> cheaper land. The tendency of the rent will be to reduce to the state
> where the only rent paid to a builder will be the charge for his
> construction, i.e the 40 lakhs, i.e land will be almost valueless.
>                              This proposal will, i agree be very
> heavy to those people who own large tracts of land now. It will
> discourage land speculation and allow for a more gradual and
> integrated development of cities instead of the incessant
> urbanisation we see today. It is also, a FAIR proposal of taxation,
> since it taxes something that cannot be hidden, is not made by your
> own effort - hence will not discourage production and does not
> penalise enterprise. I do not propose to add land tax as another to
> our list of burdens, but to replace our entire list of burdens with
> land tax. The regulation mechanism to monitor land tax is very snall
> when compared to the present mechanisms. With increasing complexity
> in the world with the advent of the internet, this is a fair and
> simple way to finance a minimal government. Also, another proposal in
> a related website was to give all citizens of a country a CITIZENS
> DIVIDEND when the rent is more than sufficient to finance the
> activities of the state. This will ensure that the benefits that the
> concentration of people are bestowing to the community are shared by
> all of the community.
>
> c.prakash

> | The coolest site for free home pages, email, chat, e-cards, movie info..
> |
> |               http://www.goplay.com - it's time to Go Play!

=====
Ah Love, could you and I conspire, To grasp this sorry state of things
entire,
To smash it all into a million bits, And mold it back to heart's desire.

Jab purdah nahi koi khudah seh, to bandhon se purdah kya.

Abhijeet A. Pradhan, 44J, Reading Rd, Edison, NJ 08817
Tel #: 732-452-1157      email: perdi420@yahoo.com
http://www.geocities.com/perdi420/       http://www.thethinkingindian.com