Re: public vs private

I never stated that ALL public institutions should be financially
profitable.  I was speaking in the context of government run companies
(PSU's) that could easily be privatized.  The thought to apply this idea to
hospitals, the military, the police etc. never even crossed my mind.  My
position is that certain public institutions like the ones mentioned by you
(and I can think of many others) should be owned and operated by the
government for the common good.  My point was that currently the money
losing PSU's are bleeding the country.  If we were to privatize them, we
could then redeploy those funds towards the public institutions that we have
identified above.  One public institution that I would like to emphasize in
the context of India is micro-credit banking.  I think that this must be
taken up (subsidized) by the government on a priority basis on a major
scale. I also think that there is great scope for dedicated non-governmental
organizations, supported by wealthy individuals and corporations to effect
grass roots change.  Thus I see three pillars of society, namely: public
institutions, corporations, and NGO's.  Where I disagree with you is to the
degree of privitization required.  I would say that 90% of the PSU's should
be privatized.  Even China has made more progress in terms of privitization
than India. Canada and Britain privitized most of their state run companies
during the last 15 years and have emereged as stronger economies.  Their is
no reason why India cannot do the same.