Daily treatment of Dalits

Forwarding a little note from Ram Narayanan on the status of Dalits in
Chennai. So long as the so called 'caste' Hindus continue to behave like
this, I am a dead-on supporter of reservations as the bare minimal
affirmative action to rectify not only the wrongs of thousands of years,
but the wrongs being committed today. India is a society divided by its own
people. The British did not do this to us.

>Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 04:37:42 -0500 (EST)
>From: Ram Narayanan <ramn@adelphia.net>
>To: Dr Sanjeev Sabhlok  <sanjeev@sabhlokcity.com>

I am back from an 18-day trip to India. ... I also took the opportunity to
visit and spend some time at a "Dalit"  village near Chennai and was
shocked to hear that they had no access to the main village temple
maintained by the so-called caste-Hindus and so they had to have their own
temple!