Re: Judiciary, Prasar Bharati, Sen

Dear Sanjeev
I have recently joined the India Policy debate site and it promises to
be
extremely interesting. I am presently working at the LBS national
Academy of
Administration Mussoorie and would solicit a debate on the " Training of
newly
recruited Civil servants - Reinventing Governance through Induction and
In
service courses etc "
If there are any takers I shall put up the Syllabus that is current and
invite
feedback on making it more relevant
Regards
Yaduvendra Mathur
PS: our site http://www.lbsnaa.ernet.in

Indrajit Barua wrote:

> Sanjeev,
>
> With due respect to Amartya Sen, he seems as confused as most of our
> other economists. What we need is not jargon and moralizing but what
we
> desperately need is the rapid & effective dismantling of our huge
> bureaucratic apparatus and the state's involvement in business
> enterprises. Government is there to govern; government has no business

> to be in business. Words like left, right and centre have no meaning
for
> me.
>
> Indrajit Barua.
> >Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 18:05:16 -0800 (PST)
> >From: "Dr. Sanjeev Sabhlok" <sanjeev@sabhlokcity.com>
> >To: debate@indiapolicy.org
> >Subject: Judiciary, Prasar Bharati, Sen

> >Please help make the Manifesto better, or accept it, and propagate
it!

> >Judicial corruption:
> >====================
> >
> >We've not dwelt on judicial corruption on IPI much. Well, the Law
> Minister
> >of India is unequivocal. He said there is need to overhaul the "fatal

> >combination of incompetence and corruption among police, prosecutors,

> >witnesses and judges" (TOI, Delhi edition: 12th Nov, pg. 9).
> >
> >Thankfully and mercifully, the Mera Bharat Mahaan syndrome is on the
> wane
> >in India today and some truthful speeches are finally being made
about
> the
> >actual state of affairs in India. 3 cheers to the Law Minister!
> >
> >He also referred to relevance of Vohra Committee report. Will try to
> >procure a copy.
> >
> >Prasar Bharati:
> >
> >Very good suggestion by Vir Sanghvi in HT, 12.11.99, p. 11: "The
> problem
> >with the Prasar Bharati debate is that we take government ownership
of
> >Doordarshan for granted." He almost (but not quite, since he wanted
DD1