Re: Graduation out of a Caste....?

there have been a number of responses to my intitial inquiry to the
orginial
venting comment on this forum by an upper (i am assuming) caste person
complaining of the manner in which teh system discriminates against him.

Obviously he also believes that i am not mature enough to discuss these
issues in a public forum most probably becasue i am calling him out on
his
own inability to give up a piece of power to those in a more
disadvantageous
place than his own priveleged (i am assuming) background.
the response back to me is very telling of the manner in which people
who
are asked to lead the way, as umesh puts it, are incapable of making
room
for others.
it is true that there have been various forms of compensatory
discrimination
instituted by teh indian gov't and therefore he automatic question
arises-
"who has improved? how is success assessed?"  however, there is a
question
that arises before this inquiry and that is one whoch examines the local
and
state gov't implementation of teh policies set out at teh national
level.
not only that but there shoudl also be an assessment of the manner in
whoch
the S. court has ruled on issues bringing fundamental rights into focus.

granted that the S.court has been moving towards an activist role in
enforcing these rights.  however, is it not tryue that until a case
comes
before them there is no real implementational or watchdog tool over teh
implementation of these rights?  perhaps it is the constitutional's flaw
in
providing no more immediate of a remedy for enforcement at teh more
local
level, perhaps it is the flaw in teh constitution which limits teh
judiciary's role to only fundamental righst and relies so (failingly)
heavily on the parliament to institute policy.  remember policy is
nothing
if not implemented responsibly, perhaps the first inquiry into teh
success
rate needs to be a comprehensive inquiry.
the danger that umesh's quetsion raises is that by doing this inquiry
the
corruption and the real lack of enforcement of this policy will come to
light (afterall who is in the lok sabha?) furthermore history has told
us
that those in power will almost do anything (including lighting
themselves
in teh street) to hold on to power... it takes a sincere push from
society
to teach our children and eachother the societal benefits and teh moral
value in correcting past discimination to right the wrongs of our
ancestors.
--retu (perhaps it is becasue i am a woman that i am considered to be
not
mature enoguh for this discussion by some colleagues on this
forum--maybe
you should think about that and your own sexism and discrimination the
next
time you decide to respond to an intelligent lawyer and policy advocate)

"Where the mind is without fear and the head is held high......
Into that heaven of freedom, my father, let my country awake."
- Rabindranath Tagore