Re: Pericles of Athens

>Dear Dr Roy.
>
>This thread ..on Athens... where does it lead to?
>
>> "Here each individual is interested not only in his own affairs but
in
>the affairs of the State as >well; even those who are mostly occupied
>with their own business are extremely well-informed on >general
politics
>-- this is a peculiarity of ours: we do not say that a man who has no
>interest in >politics is a man who minds hos own business; we say that
>he has no business here at all."
>
>Sounds as if you are talking of the people of Kerala. Look at the state

>of Kerala now!

--  I think if you reflect on Pericles' meaning you will see for
yourself.
In my book Philosophy of Economics (London & New York, Routledge
1989,1991),
it led to a Kantian limit where, because every person is
self-disciplined,
all external government is dispensable.

Good point regarding Kerala.  However,  where it does NOT lead to is the

often wasteful political gassing we see (or used to see) in West Bengal!

Subroto Roy