RE: A small list

How many good, working CMs are there in India besides Chandrababu Naidu?

Sanjeev's beefs are genuine. I live in the same part of the country & I
can tell u that nothing ever works here. I have not been able to get a
new phone connection for the last 2 years. It took me six attempts to
get this e-mail across, as i get regularly disconnected after 10 minutes
or so.

Indrajit Barua
Guwahati, Assam.
>Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 17:42:54 -0800 (PST)
>From: "Ajay Gandhi" <ajay@gandhis.com>
>To: debate@indiapolicy.org
>Subject: RE: A small list

>While I appreciate what Sanjeev says, here is another point of view.
The

> [...]

>finest.
>Phones are on demand. And, private companies are offering competing
>basic
>telephone services which are equally good or better.
>
>Sanjeev says:
>* To get the internet, due to the government monopoly
>over the system, there is scarcity of supply of dialup
>ports, leading to a long waiting list for provision of
>the connection, which you overcome by pressurizing the
>GM Telephones, and thereafter you fill out a long
>form, wait for a demand note to be sent to you, submit
>money in a different office located in a distant
>building (before 12:30 am else their counter closes!),
>and then wait endlessly for the internet exchange to
>inform you about your account being activated. After
>that (and this is based on the experience of my
>friends) you dial up a series of different numbers,
>upto 80 times and whenever you are connected, you get
>disconnected in a short while. And as a bonus for
>being a loyal Indian, you pay at rates much higher
>than people 50 times richer, pay in USA. And you see
>huge massive buildings and hundreds of staff belonging
>to the great DOT, feeding less than a few thousand
>subscribers. Communication in India is a luxury. Long
>live industrialization!
>
>I say:  You get internet connection in a day. Here you get a phone
>connection free for every internet account with VSNL!
>And, every city has a private ISP who will give you the connection at
>your
>door step, same day.
>
>Sanjeev says:
>
>*       It is still not customary to use computers in the
>government, leading to unending problems of
>organization and communication. One short draft letter
>takes two days with many corrections and re-typings,
>costing well over Rs. 1500/- in labor costs of the
>stenos and officers. And e-mail is not used, of
>course, adding hundreds of rupees and many days to the
>delivery cost of that letter.
>
>I say: It is quite customary in government departments to use
computers.

>Many departments are quite advanced in using them.
>
>Sanjeev says:
>* Virtually no ATMs exist - at least not in the
>North-east. Therefore, if you somehow miss drawing
>cash from banks before a series of holidays, you are
>stranded without cash and have to borrow from others
>to survive the holidays.
>
>I have replied above.
>
>Sanjeev says:
>*       There is inadequate supply of coinage, a basic
>function of the government, leading to situations
>where shopkeepers turn down purchases made by you if
>you do not furnish exact change. I have not been able
>to buy biscuits worth Rs.12 because I did not have
>change. And the less said about our leprous Rs.2 and
>Rs.5 notes, the better.
>
>My point: not true here. We have enough coins and notes are ok.
However,