RE: The real issue

Dear Vikram,

While unfounded pessimism is certainly not what will help India,
constantly
reminding ourselves of the fact that all is well is perhaps more
dangerous.
The question is not whether we have 13 year olds shooting kids in the
school... Just because we do not does not mean we need to have cows on
the
Roads?? It is not as if having cows roaming freely on the country's
highways
somehow influences 8th graders to be more calm!!!

The important point is that we are a nation of over 1 billion people
with
rather bright skill sets and intellect...have 3000 years of culture and
history and yet we do not seem to be anywhere close to where we deserve
be... we have technological expertise to launch satellites build nuclear

weapons and create world class software but we cannot provide adequate
electricity and water even to our capital city, leave alone the rest of
the
country... we continue to have the highest number of illiterates in the
world and have the most primitive standards of public sanitation and
health... It is indeed strange that a country that built the Taj Mahal
and
so many beautiful temples that have endured for thousands of years,
today
has difficulty building a straight road that would last a single
monsoon!!

The point is not that other nations are far ahead of us the point is
that we
are far behind from where we could be by ourselves.

Regards,

Bhuwan