RE: Archbishop vs VHP on Pope John Paul II's India visit

The controvery over the visit is unseemly and unnecessary.

India is a secular country because it is predominently Hindu.
Unfortunately our religion, or rather, way of life, throws proplre out
of its fold rather than embrace others into the fold. Manu's caste
system is the curse of Hinduism. Our Constitution abolished
untouchability but could not eradicate the evils of casteism. More
unfortunately, the politicians have accentuated caste divisions to buy
votes.

I was educated in a christian  missionary school but no one ever tried
to convert me. I owe a debt of gratitude to those Irish brothers who
taught me the proper moral values. I remember praying in a catholic
church alongside a muslim friend and another who was not a catholic but
a presbytarian. This could happen only in India.

Forced conversions or conversions by enticement, allurement or promising
rice and jobs is immoral.

Our christians should read the book "The Keys of the Kingdom" by
A.J.Cronin.

There are many mansions in the house of my Father -- so says the Bible.