Judiciary, Prasar Bharati, Sen

Judicial corruption:
====================

We've not dwelt on judicial corruption on IPI much. Well, the Law Minister
of India is unequivocal. He said there is need to overhaul the "fatal
combination of incompetence and corruption among police, prosecutors,
witnesses and judges" (TOI, Delhi edition: 12th Nov, pg. 9).

Thankfully and mercifully, the Mera Bharat Mahaan syndrome is on the wane
in India today and some truthful speeches are finally being made about the
actual state of affairs in India. 3 cheers to the Law Minister!

He also referred to relevance of Vohra Committee report. Will try to
procure a copy.

Prasar Bharati:
===============

Very good suggestion by Vir Sanghvi in HT, 12.11.99, p. 11: "The problem
with the Prasar Bharati debate is that we take government ownership of
Doordarshan for granted." He almost (but not quite, since he wanted DD1 to
be with govt.) said what needs to be said: we must NOT have govt. in ANY
broadcasting function. That is NOT a governmental function.

In a free democracy, citizens have the right to evolve their own radio and
TV stations and tune in to which ever they wish. Doordarshan is a major den
of corruption (which govt. organization is not?) in addition to being the
most incompetent in terms of quality of programs. Officers have been found
with crores of rupees stashed in their houses.

I find the debate in India to be v. lukewarm. We are still to decide if we
are a free nation or a feudal pass-me-down of British imperialism.

Amartya Sen:

Sen says in Outlook, Nov. 15, p.88: "social reform is as important as
economic reform." Further, at p. 90: "along with the expansion of basic
education and basic healthcare, we also have to foster economic reforms."
at p. 92: "there is no conflict between rapid economic reform and expansion
of equitable social opportunities." Sounds good. Only, he seems to be
missing in the methodology for either of these. Need to read his books.
Anyone willing to clarify what he means?

Then he adds, shockingly, (p.92) "my own political position is distinctly
on the left." What??? Marx and Smith go together now-a-days?