Re: Sad Story

the quota or reservation system was instituted by the governemnt to
remedy
past discrimination.  those of lower castes have to overcome many more
hurdles and difficulties than those in priveleged social positions (even
if
not measured in wealth, ie. poor upper caste people)therefore, we as a
society, have a responsibility to help remedy what we have done as
indiaviduals and as a sopciety to repress lower castes and dalits.  if
anything, our government should make the law more restrictive to stop
upper
caste and rich indians from continuing to reap benefits from tehir
social
positions.  if there is anyone for you to blame it should be pointing a
finger at the corrupt upper class which continues to set a stage of
opposition between the lower class and middle class.  it is our
responisbility as the middle class to recognize how power works in the
society and stop blaming those we oppress/repress for their inhumane
treatment in india and by the gov't of india.  there is much
documentation
showing that while the gov't of india is behind the reservation
policies, in
implenting them, they could do a much better and stricter job.  also
there
is no denying the fact that in non rural areas reservations are
beginning to
help dalits get jobs and education, however, societal discrimination
against
them in interviews and by their peers is a stigma that will take a much
longer time to go away.  by blaming them for your sisters rejection or
loss
of jobs, those in power have succeeded in placing you in opposition to
those
with even less power than you.

"Where the mind is without fear and the head is held high......
Into that heaven of freedom, my father, let my country awake."
- Rabindranath Tagore