new member

process. Thanks Rajagopalan for your intervention. Is
there any way to make joining the group a little more
user friendly? May be, we have to start removing such
typical Indian obstacles right from here.

I did not have a chance to read the whole archive during
this time.  I intend to do that shortly and would be
happy to help in any volunteering activity, here in the
Eastern United States, particularly New York Tristate
area. You guys have started to start a movement which is
just wonderful and so desperately necessary. A hearty
congratulation.

Couple of points regarding system reform:

I believe Jack Welch, the legendary CEO of GE, has once
said that we will have to cure minor evils first before
we undertake any major issues. As you must have noticed
in your daily travels, small little conveniences that
people in the West have taken for granted long time ago
become major roadblocks in our efforts to do anything
and struggles for living sap all our energies. I firmly
believe that the primary role of any forward looking
party today should be just making the life of the people
a little easier, a little more order, a little more
accountability, before we begin efforts of any major
philosophical and/or value system change, discuss
nuclear options and similar great endeavors. I have
noticed that such simple concepts become major elitist
discussions among the intelligencia,both here and in
Calcutta where I come from, and great economic words
like infrastructure enhancement, allocation of
priorities and resources are casually thrown and nothing
gets done. I suppose that because of some such
improvements in the lives of people, that took place
during emergency, many think of those days as better
than today and explain why some senior citizens lament
the loss of British administration.  Is it the ex Chief
Justice Hedayetulla who once felt that people would be
willing to sacrifice some basic freedom in order gain
some order,predictability and security in their lives. I
do not believe that these initiatives require massive
infusion of world bank money, major structural changes
and some other nonsense. It needs a fair and stern
governance of our current available resources,common
sense, a well developed sense of priority and above all
a patriotic leadership. Through a couple of events that
we experienced in our recent trip to India, the
impression is irresistibly gained on me that people are
ready, eagerly waiting for somebody,something whatever
who is a great manager, will keep on making small but
perceptible dents in this mindless inefficiency.
Improving the fate of citizenry will be his only concern
where flipping the switch will start the fan, opening
the tap will brings clear drinkable water, natural gas
cylinders would be available every month. Government
will remain responsible to people.and more importantly
will make these dents stick through dispassionate use of
enforcement mechanism. People would accept discipline if
they are convinced it is distributed fairly and
equitably. A couple of such small battles won across the
landscape will unleash the floodgate of goodwill,those
single steps will start a journey of thousand miles,
those rising tides will lift all boats. If people begin
to believe that something is really stirring, however
faint it might sound now, if they can be persuaded that
we mean business and these changes are here to stay the
stampede will begin and the collective will of our
people will drive away all debris.  This has happened in
the past, dedicated, idealistic patriots came in numbers
and people lined up behind them but nothing sustainable
took place because they either had no managerial skills
or depended upon guys who are thugs or deadwoods. A
classic example perhapsin recent times of these great
sacrifices, patriotism going nowhere  is the
administration of Seikh Mujubar Rahman in Bangladesh.
--
I would like to see the initiatives moving toward these
directions and carried forward by dedicated country

You guys are doing a phenomenal job in making this all
happen. I am so proud and would like to be a part of it.
I may have elaborated the obvious in the preceding lines
but this is a debate and anybody can say anything. Has
there been any discussion on the role of organized labor
in this environment?