Subject: re: Social contract
Author:  photismo (photismo@my-dejanews.com) at unix,mime
Date:    07.05.1999 05:12

[Topics under debate]: GOOD GOVERNANCE
I had posted an inquiry about "initiatives" as practised in the US.
Perhaps they would be helpful in local collective action. Though they
clearly have negatives.

Essentially, AFAIK, the system works something like this:

Citizens pass around a petition for a particular regulation and if there
are enough signatures, the issue is put on the ballot for the next
elections (local elections, I guess). If the regulation is voted for, it
is made law. It obviously needs a certain level of literacy.

There are, as I have mentioned, several drawbacks. Is there someone who
knows more about this system?

---
Chirag Kasbekar
TYBA (Econ, Socio)
St. Xavier's College,
Mumbai (Bombay), India.
photismo@my-dejanews.com
chirag_k@hotmail.com
photismo@indiatimes.com

"...when two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity,
the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is
possible for one side to be simply wrong."
                          -- Richard Dawkins