Constitutional change

[Topics under debate]: GOOD GOVERNANCE
Hi

This is an interesting article on constitutional change which I came
across
in Redifindia. I hope this will be of interest to IP and a healthy
debate
will ensue.

http://216.32.165.70/news/1999/may/03shalab.htm

The gist of this is that executive and the legislative arms of the
government needs to be separated. The key benefits of this are

        - A more stable executive
        - An easier way to evaluate election candidates (based on the
premise that there are different qualities required to perform the two
functions)

The catch 22 situation is that any change to the parliament needs to be
passed by the parliament itself and if they were sensible enough to do
so we
may not need the change at all in the first place! Therefore the only
way to
achieve it, if at all, is if these are debated and the validity of these

arguments are highlighted often enough to create an environment where a
constitutional change becomes acceptable.

Regards

Sri