Re: cloning (Professor Prabhu Guptara msg)

[Topics under debate]: GOOD GOVERNANCE
---Girish Nair <gn4@iname.com> wrote:

> In my opinion "human life" of a fertilized embryo
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Clearly, that is what Prof. Guptara has been saying.

(and my I stress the
> word human) is not dependent on whether it is alive
at conception (of
> course it is!). The cell is alive but does it have
human life? The
> function of the cells at the stage of conception is
simply division.
> Would you call this human life? Differentiation of
the cells comes later
> and still later the process of individual cells
'learning' their
> assigned functions. In my opinion when this stage
begin you can see the
> beginning of "human" life. The cells now are no
longer simply alive they
> have human life in them.

I agree. One safe way to determine when it is human
would be to determine when the nervous system is
formed AND functional.
In any case, since the aim of IPI is to come up with
a manifesto and banning cloning does not have sound
arguments in its favour, it is not going to find a
place in the document. So I suggest we drop this
issue.

-Arvind