Re: World's Policeman....

[Topics under debate]: Free Citizen, Long Term Vision, Preamble
Ram Narayanan wrote:

> Sanjeev wrote:
>
> >US is not being the world's policeman. in this case
> > the world has authorized use of force in the UN security council.
>
> I do not remember reading about any resolution being passed in the U N
> Security Council authorizing USA or the NATO powers to militarily intervene
> in Yugoslavia's internal affairs and violate her sovereignty.  If there was
> no such resolution, then the action of USA and the NATO nations is clearly
> illegal and absolutely wrong!

Ram is correct. No UN resolution was passed endorsing bombings. That the
security council does not pass a resolution calling for their halt is a
different matter that reflects UN impotence in the face of US power rather than
giving legal sanction for bombing.

For an analysis that puts this into perspective, see

http://www.zmag.org/current_bombings.htm

Excerpts:

The threat of NATO bombing, predictably, led to a sharp escalation of
atrocities by the Serbian Army and paramilitaries, and to the departure of
international observers, which of course had the same effect. Commanding
General Wesley Clark declared that it was "entirely predictable" that Serbian
terror and violence would intensify after the NATO bombing, exactly as
happened. The terror for the first time reached the capital city of Pristina,
and there are credible reports of large-scale destruction of villages,
assassinations, generation of an enormous refugee flow, perhaps an effort to
expel a good part of the Albanian population -- all an "entirely predictable"
consequence of the threat and then the use of force, as General Clark rightly
observes.
While the Reaganites broke new ground, under Clinton the defiance of world
order has become so extreme as to be of concern even to hawkish policy
analysts. In the current issue of the leading establishment journal, Foreign
Affairs, Samuel Huntington warns that Washington is treading a dangerous
course. In the eyes of much      of the world -- probably most of the world, he
suggests -- the US is "becoming the rogue superpower," considered "the single
greatest external threat to their societies." Realist "international relations
theory," he argues, predicts that coalitions may arise to counterbalance the
rogue superpower. On pragmatic grounds, then,  the stance should be
reconsidered. Americans who prefer a different image of their society might
call for a reconsideration on other than pragmatic grounds.