Re: democratic separation

[Topics under debate]: Free Citizen, Long Term Vision, Preamble
Sanjeev Sabhlok wrote:

> . .   .this is the alternative para:
>
> "Today, we as a nation officially permit only violent methods to people who
> wish to form separate states, districts, or cities. Specific mechanisms for
> people to separate and form these new structures within India will be
> formulated which involve the use of very clear guidelines and involve a very
> specific referndum of all concerned persons. This power to adjuducate on
> separation will not vest with elected representatives but will be exercised
> by the people themselves, directly, as co-owners of the country."

I'm not sure if the opening assertion is true:

"Today, we as a nation officially permit only violent methods to people who
wish to form separate states, districts, or cities".

Does offficial written policy explicitly "permit" "violent methods" ?

In the spirit of looking to the future rather than the past, I suggest we drop
the opening sentence. The para then opens:

Specific mechanisms for people to separate and form civil organizational
structures such as states, districts, or cities within India will be
formulated which involve the use of very clear guidelines and involve a very
specific referndum of all concerned persons.

the last part of the next sentence:
" ...directly, as co-owners of the country."
provides no guidance on how adjudication is to take place.
I would suggest replacing it with
"... direct ballot"

So the finished para reads:

Specific mechanisms for people to separate and form civil organizational
structures such as states, districts, or cities within India will be
formulated which involve the use of very clear guidelines and involve a very
specific referndum of all concerned persons. The power to adjudicate on
separation will not vest with elected representatives but will be exercised by
the people themselves, by direct ballot."

We may want to include or footnote procedures for deciding what proposals get
on the ballot and the minimum turnout and majorities required for passage, but
we don't want to get too long or too technical either.