Re: cloning

Arvind wrote:
>PLEASE DON'T DO ANY SUCH THING. SCIENCE is already
>discouraged in india. Indian Council of Medical
>Research has already blindly brought in this rule
>because someone told them it is unethical.

I tend agree with Arvind on this issue of cloning. And it will be quite
futile even if there is a law banning cloning or restricting genetic
engineering. If there is a demand for such products, the market will
find a
way of delivering these, either openly, or covertly if necessary.

As far as I understand, one can't patent a gene. Mostly what is patented
is
the process by which that gene is introduced at the target sopt in the
recepient. Or if a combination of gene string is designed to produce
particular characteristics.

At most restrictions like these will achieve is slow down our own
research
capabilites, and slow down the beneficial impacts of new technologues. A

very good example of how our so-called "process patent" rules have
stunted
the desire in all but a  handful of Indian pharmaceutical companies to
carry out original research. they have mastered the art of reverse
engineering, they have forgotten the need for fresh thinking.

Barun