Re: cloning

Sanjeev Sabhlok wrote:

>  we need to include a section on 'minor policy issues' in the
manifesto. the
> following can be included in that section:
>
> "Cloning. No cloning of the human being will be permitted in India."

I think this issue is so minor as to be a waste of our time.

More apropos in this context and IMO worth debating, is the issue of
biological/genetic patents: a few years ago some researchers discovered
genetic trait in a central american native that made her immune to
malaria. A
US company attempted to patent this gene sequence with no benefit to the

person in whose body it was discovered. More generally,  there is the
issue of
process patents vs "substance patents". the former, which is more common
is
the idea of granting patents for the process by which a chemical
compound is
made. The latter refers to patenting the compound itself. Currently many
large
drug & chemical companies are arguing for the latter- if this had been
the
patent regime of the past, the discoverer of, say, washing soda could
patent
the substance as opposed to what actually happened- Solvay discovered
and
patented a certain process for making it but not the substance itself.

I propose we debate the 2 propositoins:

1. No genetic sequences [plant, animal, human]  shall be patentable.
2. Only process-patents of chemical compounds will be permitted.

-Charu