RE: Secession & System

Barun,

Just a few quick thoughts on your post.

1) Canada is clearly an example of peaceful secession no doubt it is
also
pretty much unique. The point is that when we are looking at the
evidence we
must look at it as a whole and not just at what is to our liking. There
are
many regions of the world with secessionist movements and most of them
are
out of control, unstoppable and unreasonable. From Latin America to
Middle
east to Africa to Asia. The problem with such movements is that even
when it
becomes clear that the majority of the country does not want it,it is
impossible to stop the minority from going ahead anyway. Historically
too
the evidence is overwhelming in this. The idea of allowing secession on
any
pretext is fraught with dangers of being misused. Also as has been
repeatedly pointed out in many postings to this debate it is impossible
define the criteria for constitutional Seperation without being
subjective.

2)Kashmir joined the Indian nation based on Hari Singh's Decision no
doubt
so did many states post independence. Did Hari Singh represent the will
of
the people? Probably not, which king does? But did the Nizam of
Hyderabad
represent the will of the people when he signed the accession to India?
The
fact was that the British had agreements and treaties with these kings
and
upon their departure it was necessary to ratify these treaties to the
new
Indian state. If the people of Kashmir need to have a plebiscite to
decide
why not the people of Andhra Pradesh after all we have muddled the
development of AP as much as we have Kashmir? The only difference is
that
the people of Kashmir are predominantly muslim and hence a minority and
would for that reason alone would like to consider an option of joining
muslim state like Pakistan which was created in the first place for that
and
only that reason. So what about the people from Moradabad in UP they are

Muslims too and a majority in their district. Do they then also have a
right
to say that the nawab of Awadh who signed the accession with India was
not
representing their will and they have a right to plebiscite? This whole
question is crazy and if the politicians on either side not raised it up

again and again it would have long gone.

3) The Indians abroad do not become goody good team workers because they

have a choice, most of them actually do not have a choice once they get
used
to their new surroundings. They do so because they get focused on a
simple
objective of making money and improving the standards of their lives and

their children's lives. Given a fair opportunity to do this in India I
am
sure we would forget about religious, ethnic and other idiotic
differences.
People around the world are very similar and I am sure that if there was

suddenly poverty in the US there would be race riots here as well.
Economic
development and the pursuit of prosperity are the best way to unite a
country. Matter of fact I would say that if the secessionist movements
in
Canada and the UK have been peaceful(and unsuccessful) it is largely to
do
with the fact that the people are more interested in how to get more
wealthy
and anything that is contrary to this is rejected. Why do you think
Ireland
went out of control. It is the most underdeveloped part of the UK and
has
the lowest percapita income in the United Kingdom.

The main argument of some of us has been that while secession is a
subject
that needs discussion as it is linked clearly to democracy and
individual
rights, from a priority stand point we would do well to spend our
energies
on issues that help create an environment where any movement for
secession
is as peaceful as Canada and that means being a strong & prosperous
nation
first.

Before we debate the advantages of breaking up let us examine the
opportunities of coming together.

Regards,

Bhuwan