Reply to Mr. Mitra, Mr. Sabhlok, Prof. Singh

My email has been down, and I have been tied up.   But a reply is =
necessary on some basics:

1.  I estimate there are about 100,000 trained, armed guerrillas/  =
militants/terrorists in all secessionist movements combined in India =
(i.e. J&K, Khalistan, North East).   I might be wrong by 100%, but that
=
still makes them a near-zero fraction of the citizenry of our country.
=
 The onus is not on me to show this is a non-issue, but on Mr. Sabhlok =

or Prof.. Singh to show that it is.  =20

I continue to maintain: 99%+ of Indians have zero interest in seceding.

2.  The Khalistan movement has near zero support among the Sikhs of =
Punjab today.  Punjab is peaceful and prosperous again, and the Akali =
Dal and Punjab Congress Party are quite adequately conducting whatever =

political business they wish to.    In the 1980s however, it was widely
=
known that North American expatriate Sikhs had contributed to and/or =
sympathised with the Khalistan movement.    This was for the most part =

highly irresponsible behaviour.    The despicable role of Congress Party
=
politicians in creating the problem in the first place since the late =
1970s has been well-documented.  =20

3.  My personal contribution to this discussion is recorded in my =
commissioning chapters 2 & 3 in Foundations of India's Political =
Economy, specifically in regard to the Punjab and North East problems.
=
(I bore great costs in my personal life as a result which I cannot go =
into here.)  In regard to Kashmir, the introduction to Foundations of =
Pakistan's Political Economy contains my contribution, where =
game-theory, philosophy and Ayesha Jalal's biography of M. A. Jinnah, =
combined to define the "paradox of Kashmir".    My co-editor James got =

the book in hand to Nawaz Sharif's key advisers, and Nawaz Sharif =
started to quote from the introduction before he came into office the =
second time (about the drain of resources caused by the Indo/Pak =
conflict.).

4.  If Mr. Sabhlok, Prof. Singh or Mr. Mitra would like to engage me in
=
debate on the issue of secessionism from the Republic of India or the =
relationship between India and Pakistan or the issue of Indian =
federalism and decentralization, I really must insist they read and =
assimilate these or similar works beforehand, so we have some serious =
basis from which to proceed.

5.  I think what is happening as a result of this whimsical move of Mr.
=
Sabhlok and Prof. Singh in the sunny Southland of California is that the
=
process of deepening democracy and promoting rational debate among =
India's citizens being attempted by Vamsi and mysef and others via the =

Electronic Townhall has gotten derailed.   It needs perhaps to be =
clearly grasped that the problems of India's people must be defined and
=
resolved by themselves, and not anyone else.    The Electronic Townhall
=
may be a major step towards that. =20

Sincerely

Subroto Roy