Re: seccession

     Does anyone have access to a history of Kashmir and of the
     North-Eastern states?  Border areas are always difficult to define.

     How far back can either Kashmir or the North-east be considered to
     have been part of India?

     But this is probably a useless track to pursue: we must probably
come
     to terms with the fact that what is at present India is a creation
of
     the British.  They left the country with its present boundaries and

     boundary-problems.  We should make as best a deal of this as we
can.
     True democracy (which includes as much economic autonomy as
possible)
     would encourage people on the border to feel emotionally-identified

     with India.  If they are not emotionally-identified, we can keep
them
     in by force as long as we are prepared to spill blood (which is, so

     far as I am concerned, far more sacred than land).

     Professor Prabhu Guptara
     Director, Executive and Organisational Development
     Wolfsberg Executive Development Centre
     CH-8272 Ermatingen
     Switzerland
     tel: +41-71-663.5605