RE: rules

Dear Sanjeev,

I do hope that you not take this issue so seriously and personally. I do

greatly admire your commitment to democracy, and every individual's
rights
in its pure and unambiguous form. However you will have to admit to
being
emotional about this issue. The point is not whether the nation is
superior
to the individual, everyone agrees I am sure with the preamble to the
manifesto that lays down the inalienable rights of the individual but a
strong case can be made that often the existence of a strong nation
state is
the best way to guarantee individual rights.

Sashi has very eloquently stated the key points on the subject.
Primarily
strengthening of the fundamental aspects of our democracy should engage
our
attention right now and once we have a matured and bipartisan democratic

system perhaps this subject could come up. I do hope it will not take us
100 year to get there!

While Canada & Chzeckoslovakia are notable exceptions please do not
ignore
the overwhelming evidence to the contrary not only now but throughout
history.

The situation in Assam is obviously very close to your heart and
undeniably
you understand it better than most of us. However, as a citizen of India
do not think it is as one sided as it is being made out to be. Many
attempts
were made to talk to these people, perhaps these were not the most
sincere
attempts but who is to judge that. Disillusionment from the state is not
licence to kidnap the children of IAS officers and I do not care how
lousy
the government is. The responsibility of the state to engage the opinion
of
the disillusioned sections of its populace before they go down the road
of
terrorism is undeniable but it does not absolve the individuals who
engage
in terrorist activities either. It like saying that the police and the
society are responsible for all the criminals who are but just the
victims
of the system and therefore have no responsibility as individuals for
their
actions! Or that the parents are to be blamed for every drug addict.

I guess most of us feel somewhat like your wife and all we really want
is
peace and prosperity for ourselves and our children. And as Sashi so
elegantly pointed out democratic tradition does imply the prevalence of
majorities view however incomplete it may appear from a puritan
perspective.

In conclusion I propose that we drop this point from further debate
while
fully acknowledging the sentiments of all who have favoured its
inclusion in
the manifesto and move on to other issues happy with the knowledge that
even
in our most emotional moments we have the interest of democracy and fair

play at heart.

What say all of you?

Regards,

Bhuwan