My Position On Secession

In the rather prolix response to Sanjeevs mail I think my position on
the issue got fudged.

Breifly my position is

- A Geographic Secession has strategic, cultural and economic
implications which cannot be wished away. If a piece of land is
important for my survival for any of the above reasons I will cling on
to it irrationally no matter what. Historically this has been the case
and will be the case till geography become irrelevant. Already the
INTERNET has started making geography both trivial and irrelevant in a
lot of aspects of our lives and we may end up sparring seceding networks
and setting up parallel internets :)

- A Demographic secession like the brain-drain is already happening, and
there is nothing preventing people who are disatisfied with India from
doing so.

- In a world order dominated by military power the concept of a
political nation made a lot of sense. With Technological advancement our
concept of a soceity, social needs and interactions is fast changing and
political nations may very well become a defunct social edifice. Time
alone will tell.

- A Bi-Partisan Political Culture is a must before a due procedure can
be adopted to democratically debate and permit a secession. Rhetoric
dominates political debate and opposing view-points are just trashed and
treated like dirt. No meaningful political debate is possible in this
climate and only passions will inflamed and violence would follow. We
have to reach a level of maturity in our democratic process before we
can accomodate democratic secessions.

regards
shashi