Re: 99.99% of Indians have no interest in secession

Since the discussion on secession seems to have been transferred to the
IPI
debate list, I am sending a copy to that list as well.
**************************************

Could someone please tell us how one can estimate that 99.99% of Indian
are
for or against any particular issue - secession or E-townhall or
whatever??
For instance one could venture to say that 99.99% of Indian have not
read
the Indian Constitution. Would it prove or disprove anything?? (Apart
from
the possible state of the education system.)

I would think that it is precisely to protect the smallest minority in
any
society - the individual - against possible opression in the name of
majority, even if that majority constitutes 99.99%, that we have
concepts
such as individual or fundamental rights.

If an issue cannot be discussed just because some people think that
99.99%
of the people have no interest in the issue, then it may not be very
incorrect to say that 99.999999% of Indians have not heard, or
interested,
or can not or will not participate in IPI debates. Should we therefore
conclude that IPI has no marginal utlity value?? On the other hand, if a

problem can be wished away by not discussing it, then perhaps IPI should
be
shut down, and we all can retire with the knowledge that our country has

been transformed in to land of milk and honey, that peace and prosperity

reigns, just because we have wished it so. How happy is that ostrich
that
hides its head in the sand!!

Barun