Fwd: Mr. Sabhlok has no business promoting secession

I am forwarding this to the debate list as that is
where this belongs.

-Arvind

---"Dr. Subroto Roy" <sroy@vgsom.iitkgp.ernet.in>
wrote:

> CONFIDENTIAL:   Posting to the Management Team of
IndiaPolicy Institute
http://www.indiapolicy.org/office/

> >I was working on a proposal that would enhance
democracy and rational
> >debate in India over issues relating to secession
from the country. The
> >following paragraph may be inserted at the
appropriate place in the
> >manifesto, as a first step to this long-needed
debate.

> >"A group of people interested in seceding from
India would need a
> >proposal signed by 5% of the adult population of
the concerned area
> >(usually at least a state) for a referendum to
take place. They will be
> >permitted one year of campaigning during which
only peaceful methods and
> >debate will be permitted. At the end of the
period, if 2/3rd of the
> >adult population of the area approves the
proposal, the state would be
> >permitted to secede from India. Any use of
violence would cancel the
> >process."
> >

> Please realise that only a duly elected Constituent
Assembly of India is
> authorized to talk about the terms of secession.
Mr. Sabhlok has gone
> completely overboard with this.
>
> Subroto Roy.

Manifesto or policy chapters
> >are likely to be summarily rejected. Thanks for
your understanding. IPI

 debate@indiapolicy.org
http://www.indiapolicy.org/debate/