Re: Prof. Rao's draft flyer

>WHO BENEFITS FROM INDIA'S GOVERNANCE TODAY?

>by Prof. J.Rao is up for approval and discussion

I checked it out - it is quite good execpt for a line in the end that I
disagree with:

"The major role of the government is to monitor the activities of the
private sector and prevent any untoward thing happening. "

The major role of government in my opinion is to provide:
1.  external defence and internal law and order services
2.  an impartial judicial system
3.  a minimum level of public works

"monitoring activities" of the private sector should be left to the
people
- who do a damn good job of protecting their own interests when they are

not impeded by interfering bureaucrats. also, a good judicial system
would
do a far better job than a government of keeping excesses by private
firms
in check.

Yazad Jal