[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Continuance:Vamsi



---------------------------------------------------------------------
[Topics under debate]: GOOD GOVERNANCE
___Help make this manifesto better, or accept it, and propagate it!___
---------------------------------------------------------------------
    My message is embedded below.

Rajeev Manikoth wrote:

> Vamsi : << The fault is also with Indians like ourselves.  Even to this
> day, I have not seen you admit to the fact that GoI is the biggest evil
> that there is and it no more different than the British Raj in
> oppressing the Indian people!! You have conveniently explained that
> once Gateway clearances are given then everything would change without
> realizing that Indian companies will be stomped because there are many
> dominant forces in the area, already! It is as if we don't hold the GoI
> responsible for anything and the same attitude is reflected in the
> polls, as well.  Maybe, even before the law-makers change their mental
> models, we should change ours. >>
>
> Vamsi, it would help if you read mail more carefully. I had written
> earlier :

>
> << Rajeev : We must understand that the GOI is nothing but another set
> of people that we have in some form installed at the State & Central
> levels. But more critically we have also nurtured corruption as a set
> of everyday norms. There is no "them" & "us". Unless we can at every
> level stand up and fight and refuse payment of "spoils" I see no change
> happening >>
>

>
> I had already said that we need to change our mindset. We have created
> & nurtured this "oppression" ourselves. Realisation has to dawn about
> this crucial distinction.
>

    Wonderful!

>
> Vamsi : << Finally, you have totally ignored my point that unless India
> has a strong footing in 1st-tier technologies the growth in 2nd-tier
> technologies is unsustainable!!  This is a very, very important issue.
> >> ... << You may think we are moving forward but I ask the important
> question: who are we comparing ourselves to?  Antarctica? >>
>
> It's not been ignored. Except that there are numerous issues more
> crucial to the direction India needs to take. I had written quite a few
> times that India needs to define the best options for ourselves. It
> cannot be on a premise that we need to overtake the US or not overtake
> the Antartica (!) ( That's why I am not impressed with the figures &
> diagrams done by Sanjeev.) This will forever be a moving target and all
> that we'll end up doing would be to chase that. We need to be
> initiators of original concepts. We have the minds. What helped create
> this. Why have we strayed to become so inefficient ? If we can really
> try to understand this we can build on this.
>

    I like what you said about "initiators of original concepts".  Wonderful,
again.  However, I note that we don't need to bring up the irrelevant issue of
keeping up with the US.  For the last time: what happens in the US or any
other place outside of India is a relevant as a horse's......

    India can create enourmous amount wealth by improving its 1st-tier
technologies.  Our farming could be changed totally to yield 100s of times
more by using 2nd-tier technologies to closely monitor greenhouses, etc.  We
can construct better roads, subways, railways, airports, on and on.....
Without a good footing in 1st-tier technologies you cannot develop into these
areas unless we import 2nd-tier technologies into India - so much for creating
jobs with India!!  We must realize that our dominance in 1st-tier technologies
would translate into millions of jobs, created by our own industry!!!  No need
for FDI, EOU, IOU, POU, or whatever U.

> Let me come to some specifics : We cannot ignore the fact a lot of our
> minds have left for shores where they assume an easier acquisition of
> wealth. Now inspite of the tremendous negative views of some of the
> Indians abroad about the "worthlessness" of just about anything here in
> India, the capabilities they currently possess were built on the
> foundations created in India, on high subsidies by the GOI. ( Eg. the
> IIT's ) Education like this in the US would set you back for quite a
> few dollars. Right ? Now in the kind of market economy we propogate, we
> should get returns on what we invest. Since the subsidies are basically
> from public taxes, does the Indian citizenry deserve a return ?
>

    I have already written my 2 cents' worth on the subsidy for "brain
drain";  it is another brainless venture from the most oppressive institution
since the British Raj, the Government of India.  GoI has not only fowled in
this scheme with subsidies but also take the rural telecom subsidization: the
DoT is allowed to charge high license fees so that it "can subsidize rural
Telecom".  How absurd?  Whatever happened to scrapping the licenses totally so
as to encourage companies to use their valuable capital to expand the
infrastructure so that even the rural areas are covered too.  Furthermore,
unlimited licenses should have been handed out so that these companies don't
have it easy and they would compete for customer confidence.  Instead what we
have is a monopoly, DoT, that has served itself while claiming to help the
rural consumer - if this is not an example of an oppressive and self-serving
Government then we have got bigger problems!

> Can we look at a new economic opportunities ? We have brilliant minds
> here. Can we promote and sell capabilities from within our shores to
> countries that require them ? Not for a pitiful "third world" rate
> card, but for what it would be worth anywhere in the globe. Why are we
> selling ourselves short ? I have consistently seen Corporate personnel,
> even at the level of CEO's almost grovel in the presence of mediocre
> foreigners. What's up? What's this complex ? This is part of a far
> greater problem.
>

    You bring up an interesting point.  I agree with everything you say above
and add another: our brilliant minds don't have the freedom that they can
enjoy elsewhere.  In a sense, they are ashamed of this that they cannot
express themselves in their own land but have "scram" to a foreign land to do
so.  When you ask "what's this complex"?  It is a birth right of every Indian
thanks to the GoI!!

>
> Signs of these can be seen also in the thousands of young students who
> blindly say that they want to go "abroad" for studies. There are huge
> rackets thriving on this where most of these students end up in
> medicore institutions in some unknown corners of the globe. What is it
> that makes us take the easiest route out ? The committment & hard work
> required to make it outside is never generally here in India. Why ? We
> can only really progress when we can try and understand some of these
> issues.
>

    Understanding these issues also involves that fact that we tend to give
more power to institutions rather than individuals in our country.  We must
take back this power unless it is already too late!  Distributed power among
individuals of a given nation is a more efficient use of power rather than
concentration of it; especially, when that power is concentrated within an
institution.

    How much the GoI has been oppressing us it yet to be assessed.  None of us
know this as much as we should.  Hence, it doesn't occur to us that GoI is the
problem.  The solution is not anarchy but an effort at the polling booths and
contacting MLAs and MPs which would go a long way in putting GoI where it
belongs - in the best position to serve its own people rather than to serve
itself!!


--
Sincerely,
Vamsi M.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is the National Debate on System Reform.       debate@indiapolicy.org
Rules, Procedures, Archives:            http://www.indiapolicy.org/debate/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------