Re: Rajya Sabha reforms?

[Topics under debate]: GOOD GOVERNANCE
I hope you are not too serious about your proposed method of electing a
governing body.

I am curious if you have taken a look at the American system and what
you
think about it.

If you ask me about any reform, I will say that our constitution needs
to be
totally scraped and burnt to ashes. We need a totally new constitution
crafted from scratch. A presidential system of government as in USA
should
be considered. My thinking is that Parliamentary system as in UK where
the
head of state is a powerless, meaningless, do nothing king or queen, is
good
for countries where there is monarchy. India does not have monarchy and
does
not need a useless rubberstamp head of state. Given the increased
strength
in regional parties and their increased numbers only will increase the
chance of coalition governemnents and their highly likelyhood of being
toupled by minor differences among regional parties and also through
blackmail of a one single regional party. We are already seeing this
happening. I am not saying, however, that regional parties should not be

there or should not be strong. Infact, I believe they provide a strong
deterance to a central government which seems totally oblivious of the
needs
and demands of many states.

Dayal

>The question of whether to call the Rajya Sabha to sit in session or
not

>has arisen again. And at such junctions I often wonder why we have a
>Rajya Sabha at all. Not being directly elected it seems the only way we

>can have a backdoor entry of such people like Manmohan Singh (who
>genuinely need to be in parliament but would not stand a chance if he
>stood for the Lok Sabha seat). I have often wondered whether electoral
>reforms should also bring into gambit our houses of Parliament.
>I would like to propose the following. We change the method of election

>of the Rajya Sabha MPs. I suggest they be directly elected
>representatives with a difference. Every citizen eligible to vote be
>allowed a vote. Then dependent on the taxes he or she pays a
>proportional additional votes. More the taxes paid up more votes you
>get. Pay no taxes get only one vote. We could also include education
>votes. Pass your matriculation and get a vote. Graduation earns you
>another vote etc. Illiterate and paying no taxes you get one vote.
>Educated (cut off say 10 std) and no taxes two votes. More taxes you
pay

>more votes you get. Perhaps corporations also could cast votes.  The
Lok