Re: Good and Evil in Pakistan

[Topics under debate]: GOOD GOVERNANCE
Dear Mr. Dasgupta,

We are probably in near agreement.   The Pakistan Government and
establishment's anti-Indian and indeed anti-Hindu propaganda, not merely
now
but for years, is revolting, and the Pakistani people have been fed a
lot of
it.   For example, there is a strong and wierd view there that we
Indians
caused Bangladesh to break away in 1971.     The facts are obvious that
Sheikh Mujib had won a parliamentary majority in 1970 and was then
denied
from office by Ali Bhutto; the atrocities against the Bangaldeshi people
by
the Pakistani Army are well-known but all too easily forgotten.    What
is
true is that without our military intervention (which was inevitable
given
the refugee situation in Dinajpur etc) , Bangladesh would not have come
into
being but would have continued to suffer under the Pak Army.   Let's not

forget the name of the infamous Pak Generals, Yahya Khan, Tikka Khan
etc.
Their great fear was to surrender to Hindu India... eventually, their
man
Niazi surrendered at Dacca Stadium to a Parsi C-in-C (Maneckshaw), a
Silk
GOC-in-C (Arora), and a Jewish Major General (Jacob) of secular India's
Armed Forces!

 I think it is of the highest importance not to confuse a critique of
Pak
with a critique of Islam.    I believe Islam to be a great world
religion
which has contributed to Indian civilisation and the world.   The fact
it is
perverted by some into the ideological form we see at our borders should
not
diminish this by too much.    Muslim citizens of India are united with
the
GOI in the fight against Pak, there have been casualties of indeed
Kashmiri
Muslims in our Army, and indeed the bravery of Capt. Haneefuddin has
been
recognised by one of the battlesectors being named after him yesterday.

One of my books, created with W. E. James, Foundations of Pakistan's
Political Economy: Towards an Agenda for the 1990s, was evidently the
first
serious attempt in the USA to treat Pakistan in a rational academic
manner.
This reached Nawaz Sharif before his second term as PM, and he and his
men
started quoting from our introduction about the drain of economic
resources
caused by the confrontation.

Subroto Roy.