Good and Evil in Pakistan

[Topics under debate]: GOOD GOVERNANCE
Dear Mr. Dasgupta,

I fully agree with your description of the Pakistani Government's
atrocities
against Lt. Kalia and his five men, against Squadron Leader Ahuja, and
indeed against all of India, and further that we must and shall avenge
them,
no question about it.

But Pakistan as a country also contains mothers and children, brothers
and
sisters, and also brave men like Najam Sethi of the Friday Times and
Afridi
of the Frontier Post who get arrested and beaten up by their own
country's
secret police for the cause of press freedom.    The Pakistan Government
and
especially the military certainly fits your description of being
poisonous;
the Pakistani people (other than lumpen street mobs in Karachi and
Lahore)
do not.

As an incidental point, Pakistan also contains Mohenjodaro and Harappa
and
Taxila... and I would be very grieved to see our own bombs destroy them
by
mistake or ignorance.

Sincerely

Subroto Roy.