Re: Vamsi:knowing what we say

[Topics under debate]: GOOD GOVERNANCE
    Here, we have to work under the framework of Democracy and I propose the
following:  If we can bring down DoT and VSNL and encourage a framework that
will require intense competition among Telecom companies, then everything WILL
work itself.  When I say "bring down DoT and VSNL", I mean make them part of
the competition - they have to earn their living by providing quality services
to the Indian people or simply go to China or Pakistan!!

    How do we get the DoT and VSNL to givup monopoly status?  This can only be
done by Parliament, PM, or the President.  As a note: even MRTPC (Monopolistic
and Restrictive Trade Practices Commission cannot take care of DoT and VSNL.
This is a very good example of how the GoI would crack down on various
companies using MRTPC but then it would carve itself special privileges so
that same agency cannot touch DoT and VSNL - so much for a Government that was
meant to protect the interests of the people.

    The deregulation petition was drafted to urge the Parliament, PM, or the
President to completely deregulate the Telecom Sector and do away with the
license fees, altogether.  Indian Government can gain just as much revenue
through job-creation in various sectors, including Telecom, if we have a good
infrastructure.  Can you imagine the revenue from income taxation if millions
of jobs were created in all sectors if our Telecom infrastructure was good?
The GoI wants money first but we, the People, should stand up and say "you
will get your many when you ensure the security of the future generations...."

    I will contact the people at IPI to see if I can put a draft of the
Telecom. Deregulation Policy for downloading, etc.

    Our only means is to gain the necessary political will because we
certainly can't expect agencies like MRTPC to do it for us.

Sincerely,
Vamsi M.

--
Sincerely,