if only we "do what we say"....

[Topics under debate]: GOOD GOVERNANCE
Taking up the case of the exporting community with the banking sector as
a whole, Hegde said: "The banks cannot behave in their traditional
exploitative manner and act as money lenders charging high rates for
export credit. Lastly, the commerce minister repeated hisdiatribe
against the bureaucracy in general. He said: There are three main
impedements to the export growth in the country. First, neglect and
therefore, lack of adequate infrastructure; second, continuation with
the outdated, bstructive procedures and rules that were framed by the
Britishers on the basis of mistrust and third, the negative role played
by the bureaucracy in general. "The attitude is obstructive and hinders
the overall growth of the economy."
_________
    The above comments of the commerce minister are no suprise and this
goes to show that the current GoI is no different than the British Raj
because it is still using their procedures for its operations.

    Furthermore, Mr. Hegde has blamed the banks for lending at high
rates but the flaw here is that the framework under which these banks
have to operate allow them to do that and if we dig deep enough we might
find the relics of British Raj here too.  India has never considered a
solid operational framework for banks.  We were more comfortable with
"patching" up the bread crumbs that the British have left behind!!

--
Sincerely,
Vamsi M.