Shenoy is the pioneer of India's reforms

[Topics under debate]: GOOD GOVERNANCE
[Moderator: Apologies for the delay in clearing this message which was
recieved on Tue, we had a backlog due to the all moderators being
indisposed.]

B. R. Shenoy alone stood against a lot of economic and political
nonsense in
the 1950s and 1960s in India.    I was principally responsible for
bringing
back his name into the international "economic policy" scene with my
1984
work published by the IEA in London.  Peter Bauer and I met personally
in
1979 or so at a Liberty Fund Conference in Oxford and Shenoy was one of
our
main topics of discussion.    At that meeting, Bauer told me about the
existence of Milton Friedman's 1955 memo to the the GOI.  In May 1984,
at a
Mont Pelerin Meeting in Cambridge, I met Friedman for the first time,
and
asked him for the document.  the rest of the story has been told
elsewhere.

I have yet to see Lord Bauer's piece on Shenoy.    My opinion would be
that
it should very much remain on IPI.

Subroto Roy.