Ritu's misconception of individual freedoms....

[Topics under debate]: GOOD GOVERNANCE
    I thank the moderator and I congratulate Ritu.  Name-calling is ok in a
debate room as things get heated up.  But I would have been deeply
disappointed by Ritu if she didn't follow through with a reasonable
explanation/debate and assume the following is such an attempt.  Let us
dissect it to make it more interesting.

    First, you have meandered through the maze of topics and spread yourself
thin on almost everything.  I would like us to focus on Freedoms of an average
Indian.  If you read my mail carefully, I have carefully stated that the men
in J&K are fighting for the freedoms of all Indians while the Government of
India (GoI) has done everything it could in the past 50 years to take away
some fundamental freedoms from Indian Citizens - not an obvious assertion to
prove because the GoI has done this "behind our back".

    The GoI is NOT a government to the people and by the people.  It is a
self-serving institution that is not worthy of the brave men who are now
fighting for everyone's freedoms in Kargil!!  I am afraid if you are not
understanding this simple point, you will be tempted to write another
elaborate (meandering) reply.  So let me take great care this time to present
a few examples.

    The GoI, as an institution, served its interests by creating monopolies in
almost every critical sector imaginable.  We all know how much the public can
benefit through competition in every sector.  If GoI was truly for the people
then it would have opted for intense competition in areas like Telecom, roads,
power, etc.  Never in its 50 years was the public good a concern for this
self-serving institution!  It had created DoT and VSNL which still plague the
Telecom sector to this day and because of it the people of India pay the price
with high rates and poor quality.  Even now, the GoI is doing everything it
can to maintain the duopoly.

    Now, if he GoI was interested in the people and their freedoms the
following would have evolved through our history.  Individuals would be able
to own whatever businesses they choose to.  Furthermore, these individuals
would be encouraged to compete so that no one company/individual will create a
monopoly which will take advantage of the public at large.  The fact that
neither of these 2 things happened in India's history means we can conclude
the following: the GoI is not interested in the individual within its society
- no such freedoms would be granted to them.  The GoI is not interested in
quality of services to the public as much as it is interested in making money
for itself!!

    So, while brave men hammer it out at Kargil so that some fundamental
freedoms of all Indians are preserved, the GoI has been doing everything it
can to pull the rug from under our feet!!  Do you dig my point?

    Simply saying "jai bharat maatha" isn't going to save us as we can teach
an voice synthesizer to do this for us.  That is, an obedient drone can
accomplish this task.  Using our brains a little to improve our reasoning
skills might do us some good.

Sincerely,
Vamsi M.

--