From: vamsi@siliconcorp.com [mailto:vamsi@siliconcorp.com]
Sent: Monday, June 07, 1999 10:52 PM
To: debate@indiapolicy.org
Subject: reply to Ritu....

[Topics under debate]: GOOD GOVERNANCE
    If Roy cares so much about Indians in general then how do you
explain
his
attempts to control which topics we can discuss on a forum where freedom
of
speech is of great value?  I believe something really big or sacred such
as
freedom of speech is at stake!!  Indians who stand up for the freedom of

other
Indians is what is happening at Kargil.  Let us get over the "jai
bharath
matha" syndrome and stand up for something more precious than blind
nationalism - individual freedoms of all Indians.  India is made up of
Indians
and standing up for the freedoms of the citizens will invariably serve
the
interests of India as a country.

    I am afraid the story is never the other way around.  I have already

mentioned examples in my previous email and I will mention another one:
Government of India has given itself monopoly status in providing long
distance service in India through Department of Telecommunications
(DoT).
In
the US, the emphasis is more on individuals owning any business they
like
including Telecom services.  With such freedom vested in individuals,
many
US
entreprenuers are racing ahead with Internet Telephony when many Indians

lack
such a freedom thanks to a monopolistic Government (so much for jai
bharath
matha, especially when we say it blindly).  As a result Americans will
enjoy
cheaper telephony in the future with greater quality due to the
competition.
In India, the story is very different: the quality will stay the same or

even
deteriorate because of lack of competition.  The rates will stay the
same or
decrease at a slower pace due to the fact that we support a monopoly.

    The above is an excellent example where we have been blindly saying
"jai
bharath matha" for 50 years while remaining ignorant of the fact that if
we
protect individual rights every step of the way, our nation would become
more prosperous one.  Once again, if we look after the individual rights
of
ALL Indians then India's interests as a country would be served,
naturally.

Sincerely,
Vamsi M.