Re: On Secessionism Debate

[Topics under debate]: GOOD GOVERNANCE
Mr. Shekhar,

You wrote:

>1. Please avoid personal remarks & references on the debate.
>
>2. If you disagree with a line of argument, counter it with convincing
>arguments.
>
>3. If you feel it is beneath comment ignore it, the best protest to a
>ridiculous line
>    of thought is to ignore it completely.

I agree (I think most of us do) and have wanted to comment on it in the
past. Immediate steps have to be taken to maintain an acceptable level
of DECORUM and maturity in this discussion forum. The level of
discussion here seems to be worse than that of those incorrigible Usenet
postings.

I suggest we put down guidelines for what might be acceptable and what
won't if we want an objective and relevant debate or discussion ...one
that won't drive away or repluse any of its participants at any moment.
At some point, I might put down some guidelines to start with, borrowing
from other more mature lists that I am a part of. These guidelines
should be sent to all participants at regular and reasonable intervals
(not too often, though).

Those transgressing don't have to be immediately censored, but can be
shown the rules of the debate. If that fails repeatedly, the moderator
may step in.

And yes, IMO, THERE HAVE TO BE NO PERSONAL CONFRONTATIONS AT ALL. AT
ALL... If someone makes a personal attack, I think it is better for all
of us if the targetted person takes a mature and light-hearted view of
it -- s/he can be assured the rest of the list members will be with him.

You also wrote:

>So what then maybe said to be the final word on this issue - Since the
>issue arises in a democracy we should use the democratic rule. Hence
the
>majority opinion is what should count on every case where the Freedom
of
>the Individual has to be weighed against that of the Nation. Let the
>people decide which one is paramount and which one maybe compromised on

>a case by case basis.

Can you give me an example of such a situation or case? I don't think
Kargil, in any way, impinges on the individual's freedom. Maybe I'm
wrong.

---
Chirag Kasbekar
St. Xavier's College,