Re: On Secessionism Debate

[Topics under debate]: GOOD GOVERNANCE
    Freedom of both the Individual and the Nation are not equal.  This is a
"traditional" vs "modern" thought.  I maintain that if individual rights are
protected then the greater interests of the nation are also served.

    An institution should never posses power over individual rights unless a
crime has been committed.  Such thought is almost non-existent in India.  We
have violated our status and general quality of life deliberately since
independence because we have ignored this basic premise.  It is amazing that
many Indians don't protest the fact that private citizens/entreprenuers cannot
(by lawa) own radio stations.  Only the GoI, which is an institution, has the
right to own such enterprises.  I can keep going with the list: Internet
Services, Telecom Services, etc.  Do we not realize that we have never stood
up for individual rights over institutional power in such matters.  Yet, we
blindly claim that national interests are vital.

    When are we going to come to terms that if Individual rights/freedoms are
protected at every step then that will invariably serve our national
interests!!

Sincerely,
Vamsi M.

--