reply to Ritu....

[Topics under debate]: GOOD GOVERNANCE
    If Roy cares so much about Indians in general then how do you explain his
attempts to control which topics we can discuss on a forum where freedom of
speech is of great value?  I believe something really big or sacred such as
freedom of speech is at stake!!  Indians who stand up for the freedom of other
Indians is what is happening at Kargil.  Let us get over the "jai bharath
matha" syndrome and stand up for something more precious than blind
nationalism - individual freedoms of all Indians.  India is made up of Indians
and standing up for the freedoms of the citizens will invariably serve the
interests of India as a country.

    I am afraid the story is never the other way around.  I have already
mentioned examples in my previous email and I will mention another one:
Government of India has given itself monopoly status in providing long
distance service in India through Department of Telecommunications (DoT).  In
the US, the emphasis is more on individuals owning any business they like
including Telecom services.  With such freedom vested in individuals, many US
entreprenuers are racing ahead with Internet Telephony when many Indians lack
such a freedom thanks to a monopolistic Government (so much for jai bharath
matha, especially when we say it blindly).  As a result Americans will enjoy
cheaper telephony in the future with greater quality due to the competition.
In India, the story is very different: the quality will stay the same or even
deteriorate because of lack of competition.  The rates will stay the same or
decrease at a slower pace due to the fact that we support a monopoly.

    The above is an excellent example where we have been blindly saying "jai
bharath matha" for 50 years while remaining ignorant of the fact that if we
protect individual rights every step of the way, our nation would become a
more prosperous one.  Once again, if we look after the individual rights of
ALL Indians then India's interests as a country would be served, naturally.

Sincerely,
Vamsi M.

--
Sincerely,